For the most part we find that when people come into our City Home Design showroom, they have the bigger home decor picture in mind. The type of style they love, and the overall theme for those bigger pieces, you know- the couches, beds, tables, chairs, etc.
What can be a trickier thing to nail down in your decor scheme is the smaller things, the little accessories that can seem unimportant, but really add special details that make or break the design. It can be really hard shopping for them too. Sometimes I have a picture in my head of what my room looks like, and when I go to the store, I pick out an accessory. I think to myself, “of course this cute accessory will match perfectly!”. When I get home I find it’s absolutely the wrong color, or sometimes the wrong size!
So today we’re going to talk about some of City Home’s go to home decor accessories. No matter what room we’re decorating in, we seem to fall back on our “go-tos” that never disappoint.
Flowers and Natural Elements
We may have gotten our green thumb from the queen of the garden (not to mention the queen of staging) Joanna Gaines. Her line of accessories from Magnolia Home, make us swoon. While watching our daily fix of HGTV’s Fixer Upper, we’re always noticing that she incorporates some sort of natural elements, usually flowers, into her designs.
It would make sense that her accessories include this incredible planter.
Think of using planters and flowers in unconventional ways! Hello pretty deer crown!
Or use them to brighten your day!
Something Awesome to Hang on the Walls
Yes, we all that huge plain white wall somewhere in our homes. Sometimes it can be hard to find something big enough to cover that daunting thing. We’re a big fan of hanging unconventional things on our walls, and we find the wackier piece, the better it looks hanging.
Fashion Meets Function, Rustic Organizers
Organize, display, or hide those go to items, like remotes, phone chargers, blankets etc. in really cool rustic looking bins and organizers.
When In Doubt, Book It Out
Who doesn’t love a good book? Show the world you’re sophisticated and smart by incorporating books in to your home decor. Plus who doesn’t love the way and old book looks (and smells!)?
Here’s our last and final tips about choosing home decor accessories:
- Choose items that are meaningful to you or tell a story- each piece should be meaningful to you in some way, or help tell the story of your home. The best accessories are the ones you LOVE looking at everyday.
- Re-arrange- sometimes just by mixing up existing things in your home, you can have an entire new look, without shopping!
- Alternate heights- mix tall and short, alternating heights so your eye is drawn to the next exciting piece.
- Mix patterns- Choose colors that work together, and mix up the texture, shiny and matte can create balance.
- Less can be more- don’t go too overboard, a cluttered house can sometimes make a cluttered mind.
- Use accessories in unconventional ways- we’ve seen some brilliant things when it comes to accessory design, explore new ways to use your pieces, or perhaps in a way that the maker did not intend (we’ve seen an area rug hung on the wall before!)
We’d love to hear your tips and tricks on home decor accessories! Connect with us on Facebook or Instagram @CityHomePDX, or visit our website at www.CityHomePdx.com