Cozy blankets, crackling fires, hearty soups and crunching leaves ... we love Fall and are grateful for the way this season brings people together.
To celebrate all things gathering together, we've collected a few of our staff's favorite family recipes to share with you.
• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
• 1 package Hillshire Farms Polska Kielbasa sausage, sliced, or Andouille sausage
• ½ inch thick slice ham, cut into small cubes
• ½ stick butter
• 2 medium yellow onions, diced
• 2 ribs celery, diced
• 1 small green pepper, diced
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 4 bay leaves
• ½ cup chopped green onion tops
• ¼ bunch parsley, chopped fine
• 8 oz. can tomato sauce
• 1 can Ro-tel tomatoes, with liquid
• 1 can whole tomatoes, with liquid
• 1 tbsp Louisiana Brand Hot Sauce
• 1 ½ tsp Tony Chacherie’s seasoning
• 1 ½ cups Chicken broth
• 1 ½ cups Uncle Ben’s rice, uncooked
Seasoning mix ingredients:
• 1 tsp dried Oregano
• 1 tsp salt
• ½ tsp white pepper
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp dried thyme
• ½ tsp cayenne
• 1/2 tsp cumin
How to make it:
1) Combine seasoning mix ingredients in small bowl, and set aside
2) Boil chicken breasts; when done, remove from water and shred with two forks, or by hand.
3) In cast iron, or large-heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat; cook sausage and ham, scraping bottom of pot; add chicken, seasoning mix, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic, stirring constantly until vegetables start to get tender.
4) Stir in uncooked rice, and cook 5 minutes
5) Add parsley, tomatoes, stock, green onions, tomato sauce, Tony’s, bay leaves and hot sauce to pot; bring to a boil.
6) Turn heat to low, and cook covered for 35 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed
Poblano Cream Sauce Chicken Enchiladas
• 2 tbsp butter
• 2 tbsp flour
• 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
• 3/4 cups sour cream
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1 large poblano pepper diced
• 2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (divided)
• 3 tbs chopped cilantro
• 1 lb chicken (breast or thighs)
• 1 tbsp chili powder
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 8 oz can rotel tomatoes with diced peppers
• 1 small onion diced
• 8-10 large flour tortillas
How to make it:
1) Preheat oven to 375
2) Chicken Prep
Boil chicken over high heat until cooked through. Place in bowl to cool. Saute diced onion in pan until translucent. Set aside. Shred chicken with fork or hands until fine. Add chili powder, paprika, rotel tomatoes, and onion. Mix well.
3) Poblano Sauce Prep
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and allow it to cook for 1-2 minutes or until it just begins to brown, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and cook. You want to whisk continuously so you don't have any lumps, about 2-3 minutes. When the sauce begins to thicken just a bit, add in the sour cream, whisking if necessary. Next, add garlic powder and the poblano. Simmer and allow sauce to thicken for another 2-3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of cheese. When the cheese melts, remove from stove and stir in 2 tablespoons of cilantro. Set aside.
4) Enchilada Assembly
Spread thin layer of sauce to coat 9x13" baking dish. Lay tortillas on flat surface and spoon chicken mixture in the center. Roll and place tortilla in the baking dish with seam facing down. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Spoon poblano sauce mixture over tortillas until covered. Cover with foil and allow to bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese and bake under broil for another 5 minutes. Drizzle with remaining sauce and 1tbs fresh cilantro. Serve.
“The table is a meeting place, a gathering ground, the source of sustenance and nourishment, festivity, safety, and satisfaction. A person cooking is a person giving: Even the simplest food is a gift.” - Laurie Colwin
In tribute to all things autumn, here's a look at our favorite dining tables and culinary-focused table toppers. From industrial modern to farmhouse chic, we've got tables and table decor that will beckon the whole family to gather 'round!
Spotlight on Pickwick & Co. Candles
Staff-picked favorite scents for fall, Available In-Store at City Home
Autumn - Baked apple, orange peel with spice notes of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and vanilla
Fall Foliage - Birch and maple leaves with pomegranate, juniper berry, orange blossom and pure, natural spice extracts.
Leather, Tobacco & Woods - A dark and earthy masculine blend with Old World charm - smoky leather and fragrant tobacco leaf with mahogany and agarwood.
Black Pepper - Black pepper, lemon, coriander, jasmine and violet leaf all atop a long-lasting base of oakmoss, amber and patchouli.